Thursday, January 10, 2013

Wendy-7-Vancouver Homeless


Where are our taxes going to ?  


There are lots of homeless people in Vancouver. Especially, in the winter season. Because it is warmer than other cities. Every time I go downtown it seems they are there. When I came to Vancouver first, I was really surprised when I saw them asking for money,taking drugs and being drunk. Beggars are also common in Korea ,but they don't ask for money. I heard that Vancouver government policy offer some money to them for living. You know, Vancouver prices are among the highest in the world, such as charging taxes. Some of the taxes are also used for them. Moreover, If they have dogs, they're going to get more money than others. When I heard this, I was shocked. I thought that many people complain about a heavy burden of taxes because of homelessness!! I thought “They probably can make more money than I do.” So, I couldn't help thinking that they are too lazy and don't have challenges in life, because they can get money easily even if they do not work as other people. So, I've never been giving money to them. I usually get on skytrain at Granville station. When I go there, I usually see a homeless who opens the door with sign " Give money, Beer". So, I always use another door.


One day, I took a speaking class for free. Topic was thinking of homeless, so I said my opinion.
However, teacher told me that I should not have said that, because it's a very serious issue, I should not have concluded that laziness is a problem. In Vancouver, people are also really sensitive to the problem of homelessness. But on the other hand, when you see panhandlers smoking cigarettes, drinking beer, or doing drugs, you have to wonder if your spare change is even going to help them for the better. I think “They’ll just spend it on drugs or alcohol;giving money only encourages more beggars and doesn’t solve anything.”
If I meet them again anywhere, I would rather give some food than give money.

   

" Do you want to give money to lazy grasshoppers still ? "



No comments:

Post a Comment