Tuesday, February 5, 2013

denise- life style differences

Differences

There are so many differences between Turkey and Canada. I can not classify them as positive or negative; they are just the result of different environment and culture.

If you 're a tourist in Vancouver, the only thing that you need is a map. Because of the simple city layout, you can find everywhere easily.There is no doubt about getting lost. Unfortunately in Turkey map doesn't work in the same way. Of course you have to have one but just for a general information. Because of the complex layout of the cities it's hard to find a place that you find easily see on the map. Local people are always ready to help you to find your direction but if you're in Istanbul you have to ask at least 3 people to make sure. It's a big and very complex city where also confusing even for local people.

Drivers are respectful both to each others and to the pedestrians in Vancouver. Although it's green for drivers, they always let pedestrians go. In Turkey it's opposite, pedestrians always have to be careful even it's their turn to pass. I think drivers think that it's because they have a car, they're safe, they can do everything. Because of that reason I'm a big threat for drivers here. They wait for me to pass, at the same time I wait for them. So if I'm on a sidewalk for 5 seconds neither cars nor I move. When driver's run out of patience, they try to tell me to pass with body language then I feel safe and move.

Police officers don't wait in traffic here. I don't see them while sitting in their car and checking traffic and people. When there is a driver who does something wrong, a police car comes from no where and makes that car stop. That's a good system which is going well. In Turkey almost on every busy point in the traffic you can see police officers. It is supposed to make drivers stop breaking the law but doesn't work. Still crazy drivers are the biggest problem in my country.

Whenever I go out with my friends in Turkey it doesn't matter who pays the bill. We know that next time it will be somebody else's turn.It's not a big deal for us. Here in Vancouver I saw people who were calculating the money that each of them have to pay. Sometimes it takes sometime and they have patience to wait for it. If I were one of them i would say 'Guys, please stop calculating.We're friends and there shouldn't be money issue between us.! I'll pay this time, next time you can pay, no worries'

No comments:

Post a Comment